YEREVAN, March 4. / ARKA /. Armenia’s State Food Safety Service, an affiliation of the Ministry of Agriculture, is working now to find out whether brucellosis-infected meat was sold at local markets, head of the agency, Artak Sahakyan, told ARKA.
Reports yesterday said 38 cows in the community of Dzoraghbyur in Kotayk region were butchered after local veterinary service found they were infected with brucellosis. The State Food Safety Service asked the Ministry of Health to examine people who contacted with sick animals.
"The State Food Safety Service works closely with the Ministry of Health and if we find people who have used contaminated meat and dairy products we will take corresponding measures,” said Sahakyan.
Brucellosis is a highly contagious zoonosis caused by ingestion of unsterilized milk or meat from infected animals or close contact with their secretions. Transmission from human to human is rare but possible. –0--