Head of polling center praises Rosneft for pledging to invest $500 million in construction of new plant in Armenia

Head of polling center praises Rosneft for pledging to invest $500 million in construction of new plant in Armenia

YEREVAN, February 27. / ARKA /. Head of an Armenian polling center has praised today Russian state-owned oil company Rosneft for pledging to invest $500 million in construction of a new chemical plant in Armenia.

Speaking at a news conference, Aharin Adibekyan, head of Sociometer polling center, said the closure of 
Nairit synthetic rubber plant was a big mistake ‘and today the resumption of rubber production is too costly making it uncompetitive at international market.”

He said Russia is likely to lower the price of gas used for production of synthetic rubber. He said this may allow Armenia to reactivate the operation of a tire plant in Yerevan, to attract foreign investors and create new jobs. He said the new chemical plant will hire 600 workers of Nairit plant. 

“Therefore, we should welcome the Russian initiative," Adibekyan said.

In 2006, 90% of Nairit’s shares were sold to British Rainoville Property Limited for $40 million. The remaining 10% belong to the Armenian government.  Rhinоville Property Limited has been co-founded by the Samex company (Poland), Intertex (USA) and Evrogaz (Russia). 

In April 2010 the plant stopped producing rubber. Before the halt, the plant sold its products abroad – chloroprene rubber was exported to EU countries, Russia (about 30% of the exports), the United States and 20 other countries. 

Last December 25 Russian Rosneft, Pirelli Tyre Russia and Rosneft- Armenia signed in Yerevan a memorandum of understanding today to establish a joint venture for production of butadiene- styrene rubber. The memorandum and several other agreements aimed at enhancing cooperation were signed after the meeting of Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan with Rosneft head Igor Sechin. -0-

15:07 27.02.2014

Comments (0)




 

« August 2014

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
 
 
 
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Username:
Password:

Registration
If you are new on the site, please fill out the registration form.

Enter the website you can use your account on any of the following services.

×