YEREVAN, October 28. / ARKA /. A patient diagnosed to have the cutaneous (skin) anthrax was admitted to Yerevan’s Nork hospital specializing in treatment of infectious diseases on Saturday, the health ministry said. It said the preliminary diagnosis was confirmed by laboratory tests.
The ministry described the case as of ‘moderate severity’, saying the patient received necessary treatment and there is an improvement in his health.
It said specialists of the health and agriculture ministries took necessary actions to find out the source of infection. It said consumption of infected meat was a possible cause of the infection.
In early October this year fifteen people in northern and north-western regions of Lori and Shirak were hospitalized after local health authorities suspected they were infected with anthrax. Three people in the village Artagyuh, Lori region, were found on October 4 to have cutaneous (skin) anthrax. This made health authorities to examine the village residents to discover eight more people suspected to be infected with disease. Lab tests confirmed that seven of them had cutaneous anthrax. A deeper study found that the probable cause of the infection was eating the meat of dead animals.
Several cases of animals with anthrax were reported in 2012 October in Gegharkunik province.
Anthrax is an infection caused by bacteria (a type of germ) called Bacillus anthracis. These bacteria make spores, a form of the germ covered by a protective shell. The spores can live for years in the soil, and they cause anthrax when they enter the body. Although the disease is most common in farm animals — like sheep, cows, and goats — there's a small chance that people can get it as well, usually from some type of contact with an animal or part of an animal that had anthrax. -0-