Overwhelming majority of Armenian labor migrants head to Russia in search of job- study

Overwhelming majority of Armenian labor migrants head to Russia in search of job- study

YEREVAN, February 5. / ARKA /. The overwhelming majority of Armenian labor migrants - 98.6%- leave for  Russia in search of jobs, according to the findings of a study conducted by AP Partners consulting company, unveiled today by Vartan Aghbalyan , coordinator of its programs.

According to him, labor migration from Armenia began to swell in 1998-99 and has not showed signs of subsiding since then. Of all migrant workers only 45 % go to Russia on their own initiative, while the remaining 55% leave for Russia only after getting job invitations.

He said most of migrant workers leave for Russia for one year because the jobs are seasonal. Some 85 percent of respondents said lack of jobs in Armenia was the main cause of migration, while another 40 percent mentioned small wages at home.

Some 76 % said labor migration has both positive and negative impacts – it helps to solve many socio-economic problems of the family, but on the other hand it is also a cause of problems in family relationships.

Respondents of the survey said availability of high-paying jobs in Armenia would curtail labor migration dramatically. Thus, 68 % of respondents said they would not go to Russia if were paid 200,000 drams ($500) wages at home and another 19 % would be satisfied with a wage of 100,000 drams.

The study was conducted in October-November 2013 in four regions of Armenia - Shirak, Lori, Gegharkunik and Tavush involving over one thousand households as part of a program to mitigate the social consequences of labor migration and increase the involvement of migrants in the process of regional development  implemented by UNICEF, EU Delegation in Armenia, the Armenian ministries of labor and social affairs and the territorial administration . -0-

16:00 05.02.2014

Comments (0)
 

« April 2014

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
 
 
 
 
Username:
Password:

Registration
If you are new on the site, please fill out the registration form.

Enter the website you can use your account on any of the following services.

×