YEREVAN, August 3, /ARKA/ Russian Rosneft company President and Chairman of the Board Igor Sechin had a working meeting today with Director General of Armenian Nairit Plant Hovhannes Hakhinyan and Deputy Director General for Reconstruction and Development Karen Mirzoyan. The meeting was held just before negotiations between the President of Russia Vladimir Putin and the President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan.
During the meeting, the parties discussed Rosneft’s potential participation in chloroprene rubber production at Nairit plant. In August 2013, Jacobs Consultancy Ltd conducted a technical and environment audit of chloroprene rubber production from butadiene at Nairit Plant. Rosneft will take a decision whether to take part in this project once it receives the final audit results and discusses the conditions to join the project with the Armenian government.
Commenting on the outcome of the meeting, Rosneft President Igor Sechin said, “We take a favorable view of our cooperation with Armenian partners. We are now expecting final results of Nairit audit and outcome of negotiations with the Armenian Government about tax regime in order to decide whether we should join the project.”
Rosneft also reached an agreement with its partner company Pirelli for Pirelli’s delegation to visit the Nairit plant to evaluate and determine possible opportunities for cooperation.
Nairit was the only plant in the Soviet Union to produce chloroprene rubber. The plant was closed in 1989 for environmental reasons and resumed operating partially in 1992. In 2001, some production facilities were separated from the plant for producing chloroprene rubber and a debt-free enterprise based on them was established. In 2006, 90% of Nairit’s shares were sold to British Rainoville Property Lim ited for $40 million. The remaining 10% belong to the Armenian government.
Rhinоville Property Lim ited has been co-founded by the Samex company (Poland), Intertex (USA) and Evrogaz (Russia). In April 2010 the plant stopped producing rubber. Before the halt, the plant sold its products abroad – chloroprene rubber was exported to EU countries, Russia (about 30% of the exports), the United States and 20 other countries. -0-