YEREVAN, October 31. / ARKA /. Armenia’s emergency situations ministry said the fire in a privately-owned house in downtown Yerevan was put out. According to updated information, the fire occurred on Tigran Mets Street at 17:56 local time. “The fire was contained at 18:23 and put out at 18:54. No one was injured in the fire,” the ministry said.
Paylak Melkonyan, deputy chief engineer of Electrical Networks of Armenia distributor, said the fire was caused by explosion of a gas cylinder, located on the first floor of the building. He denied first reports that it might have been caused by power surge.
Sargis Khachatryan, who lives in the house, confirmed that the cause of the fire was the gas cylinder, which he used to warm his dinner. He said a worker from next door shop helped him get out of the burning house. The emergency situations ministry said it will provide additional information later. -0-