YEREVAN, June 7. / ARKA /. Seven cases of mushroom poisoning were reported in Armenia in 2014, the health ministry said.
Nine people, including three children less than 14, were affected. The cases were reported in Aragatsotn, Lori, Ararat, Kotayk and Armavir regions, the health ministry said.
It said the first symptoms of mushroom poisoning are abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and dizziness. People with these symptoms must immediately contact a doctor.
To prevent mushroom poisoning it is not recommended to buy or collect mushrooms of unknown origin, to gather mushrooms growing near highways and railways, to use raw mushrooms. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children are not advised to use mushrooms at all.
The misidentification comes from the close resemblance in terms of color and general morphology of the toxic mushroom species with the safely edible species, resulting in the deaths of some, and the sickness of many others.
The poisoning can destroy liver, kidney, brain, blood system and breathing system within 4-10 hours.
Even high heat in the cooking process cannot remove the toxin. The first aid treatment is to have the patients vomit, to remove as much toxin as possible from the digestive system.-0-