Armenia’s ministry of defense urges Azerbaijan to refrain from escalation

Armenia’s ministry of defense urges Azerbaijan to refrain from escalation

YEREVAN, August 22. /ARKA/. Armenia’s ministry of defense has once again called on Azerbaijan to refrain from escalation and take active measures to de-escalate the situation on the line of contact, the press office of the ministry reported.

According to the reports from Nagorno-Karabakh Republic ministry of defense, Azerbaijani troops violated the truce around 240 times in the period from August 17 to August 22, 2014; over 1,900 shots were fired in the direction of Karabakh frontier posts. During the same period Azeri military broke the ceasefire  at Armenia-Azerbaijan border 48 times with over 300 shots made.

The armed forces of Armenia and the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic army of defense are in control of the situation along the border: they strictly adhere to the ceasefire regime and take adequate measures in response only in case of deliberate violations by Azeri troops, says the report.

Armenia’s ministry of defense says the regular truce violations by Azeri military point either to intentional subversions by Azerbaijani armed forces and the ministry of defense leadership for creating artificial tense at the borders or to the commandership having lost control over its frontline divisions taking willful actions and not reporting on use of armament.

Azerbaijan intensified largely its military efforts along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) at the end of July – beginning of August. Over 25 Azerbaijani and six Karabakh servicemen were killed in the latest raid operations and attempts by Azerbaijani troops to attack Karabakh’s positions. 

The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan. 

Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousand people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations. 

A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then. 
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France.  –0—

13:33 22.08.2014

Comments (0)




 

« September 2014

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
 
 
 
 
 
Username:
Password:

Registration
If you are new on the site, please fill out the registration form.

Enter the website you can use your account on any of the following services.

×