Armenian troops foiled over 20 Azerbaijani raid attempts in last days
YEREVAN, August 6. /ARKA/. Armenian forces have foiled over 20 raid attempts by Azerbaijani troops in the last days, Armenia’s defense minister Seyran Ohanyan told reporters Wednesday.
Last week Azerbaijani troops used their special force groups in an attempt to attack Armenian frontline positions and fired at civilian settlements and military posts, the minister said. Azerbaijan’s actions led to losses on both sides, Ohanyan said.
According to Ohanyan, Azerbaijani military and political leadership overestimated its power and saw, once again, the soldierly spirit of the Armenian army, Novosti-Armenia reported.
Over the last days Azerbaijan has largely intensified its military efforts along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR). Over 25 Azerbaijani and five Karabakh servicemen were killed in the latest raid operations and attempts by Azerbaijani troops to attack Karabakh’s positions.
The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousands people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations.
A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. -0-