STEPANAKERT, February 3. /ARKA/. Azerbaijani army suffered total casualties of 8 killed and over 20 wounded during its attacks on the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh in the period from January 20 to 31, press office of Nagorno-Karabakh ministry of defense reported.
Azeri commandos left also certain amount of specific weapons, says the report.
Karabakh suffered two killed as a result of two commando-type reconnaissance operations and about three thousand cases of violation of the cease-fire by Azerbaijan.
Tension continued throughout last week. Apart from different caliber firearms, the enemy took certain amount of armored force to the frontline, according to the report.
Azerbaijani subversive groups made attempts to penetrate into Nagorno-Karabakh overnight into Monday January 20, but were thrown back and suffered losses. A junior sergeant of Karabakh Army of Defense Armen Hovhannisyan was killed in the clash. Tuesday soldier of Karabakh army of defense Karen Galstyan was killed by a sniper.
The press office said Karabakh air defense spotted training and combat carriers of the enemy flying 30-35 kilometers away from the frontline.
Azerbaijan violated the truce 1,700 times and fired more than 10,000 shots over the week, according to the report.
Despite Azerbaijan’s attempts to continue frontline tensions, the facts show the advanced divisions of Karabakh army of defense are the ones dictating their will when required, says the report.
The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousand people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations.
A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. -0-