No need of peacekeepers in Karabakh – Armenian minister of defense

No need of peacekeepers in Karabakh – Armenian minister of defense

YEREVAN, August 6. /ARKA/. Armenia’s minister of defense Seyran Ohanyan said there is no need for peacekeeping force in the Karabakh conflict zone.

“Karabakh is the only conflict zone in the world where relative peace is maintained through a balance between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces, even when we say it is a ‘no war, no peace’ state”, Ohanyan told a press conference Wednesday, Novosti-Armenia reports.

Over the last days Azerbaijan intensified largely its military efforts along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR). Over 25 Azerbaijani and five Karabakh servicemen were killed in the latest raid operations and attempts by Azerbaijani troops to attack Karabakh’s positions.

The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.

Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousands people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations.

A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. –0--

11:52 06.08.2014

Comments (0)




 

« December 2014

Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
 
 
 
 
Username:
Password:

Registration
If you are new on the site, please fill out the registration form.

Enter the website you can use your account on any of the following services.

×