Probability of new war in Karabakh low – Ohanyan
YEREVAN, August 6. /ARKA/. The probability of a new war in Karabakh conflict zone is low, Armenia’s minister of defense Seyran Ohanyan said.
“Incidents may develop into local clashes, but the probability of a large-scale war is low. Anyway, we should be on alert”, the minister told a press conference on Wednesday.
Azerbaijan is in permanent preparations for war, the minister said. Bearing this in mind, Armenia is taking all the required measures, Ohanyan added.
“If you want peace, prepare for war”, the minister said the Latin proverb.
Azerbaijan intensified largely its military efforts along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) over the last days. Over 25 Azerbaijani and five Karabakh servicemen were killed in the latest raid operations and attempts by Azerbaijani troops to attack Karabakh’s positions.
The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousands people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations.
A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. –0—