Recent escalation along contact line comes from Baku’s failure in talks – Karabakh minister of defense
YEREVAN, August 4. /ARKA/. The last escalation along the line of contact between Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) and Azerbaijan is due to Baku’s failure in the negotiations, NKR’s minister of defense, and commander-in-chief of NKR’s army of defense lieutenant-general Movses Hakobyan said.
The minister said Azerbaijani army undertook a number of actions, mainly raid operations from July 28 to August 3, and attacked Karabakh positions openly on August 1-2 and on August 2-3. According to the reports, over 25 Azerbaijani and five Armenian troops were killed.
This means Azerbaijan is trying to destabilize the situation in the region, having failed in the negotiation process, the minister said in his interview to Artsakh TV (http://www.artsakh.tv/am/news/show/6508).
The minister said the frontline divisions of Karabakh army threw the enemy back to initial positions and carried out certain punitive actions to convince Azerbaijan the steps it takes is a way to the events of 1992-1994 and to May 12, 1994 when the defeated Azeri army proposed a ceasefire.
The lieutenant general also said the frontline situation is under control of Karabakh army of defense.
According to Hakobyan, another reason for Azerbaijani army’s recent active military efforts is the newly appointed minister of defense Zakir Hasanov who is trying to show off himself.
The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousands people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations.
A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. –0--