YEREVAN, August 21. /ARKA/. The US urge the sides to Karabakh conflict to start serious negotiations, US Ambassador to Armenia John Heffern said in his video statement on Youtube.
There is no military solution to the conflict, revenge and further violence will make the way to peace even more complicated, Heffern said.
“Once again, we extend our condolences to the families of those killed and injured during the recent incidents. As Ambassador James Warlick noted earlier, Karabakh conflict is no longer frozen. We urge conflicting parties to take necessary steps to reduce tensions and respect the ceasefire”, Heffern said.
The ambassador also said threats and bellicose rhetoric are not helping peace efforts.
Azerbaijan intensified largely its military efforts along the line of contact with Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (NKR) at the end of July. Over 25 Azerbaijani and six Karabakh servicemen were killed in the latest raid operations and attempts by Azerbaijani troops to attack Karabakh’s positions.
The Karabakh conflict started in 1988 when prevailingly Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh declared withdrawal from Azerbaijan. On December 10, 1991, a referendum was held in Nagorno-Karabakh where 99.89% voted for independence from Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan responded by large-scale military operations that led to loss of control not only over Nagorno-Karabakh itself, but also over seven adjoining areas. About 25-30 thousand people were killed and about a million had to leave their homes during the military operations.
A trilateral cease-fire agreement was signed on May 12, 2004, and has been followed since then.
The ongoing Karabakh peace process started in 1992 under auspices of OSCE Minsk Group co-chaired by the USA, Russia and France. –0—